well and also allows the reader to attach himself/herself to the poem. Marvell uses many lines and literary devices in the poem to tell a story and allow the reader to understand and connect, but the two lines I thought were very descriptive are; "The grave's a fine and private place, But none I think do there embrace." Marvell explains this line as somewhat of an ominous foreshadowing that truly affected me when I was reading the poem. This line basically discusses how a grave may be very narrow, tight, private, and comfortable place, but it is a place separated from the rest of the world, and no one reaches out to a grave, it is alone. Also, the use of this sentence in the poem, clearly allowed the poem to flow well, and the sentence fit perfectly into what Marvell is trying to discuss about love, and the dying of love.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThe quote that you chose definitely adds an ominous element to the poem. I think that the author is basically telling his mistress that she is going to die at some point, so she had better accept him before it is too late.
ReplyDeleteYes but why does he use literary devices Alec!? I believe he uses literary devices in order to help persuade and help her visualize they have to HAVE FUN now!! Also he refers to the grave inorder to put time in perspective for the coy mistress expressing there is not enough time. But otherwise very nice piece of work. I'm very proud of you! Keep it up.
ReplyDeleteNo no no, Alec! I think you're missing the entire point of the poem. The author uses "expressive diction" in order to slyly persuade his "coy mistress" into having relations with him. The first portion of the poem is in the poem is in conditional, and emphasizes that if their relationship lacked the restraints of time, they could do whatever. Then, the second portion, which plays a pivotal role, serves as a reality check from the author to the mistress. The so called "ominous" tone you have introduced serves to emphasize that they are not in a timeless world and explores the characteristics of death in order to influence in the mistress. The last portion has a very urgent tone, relating back to the idea of carpe diem that they need to seize the days they have with each other and make the best of them before they literarily rot in a coffin. Good attempt though, man!
ReplyDeletedefinitely ominous for a love poem!
ReplyDelete