Wednesday, September 15, 2010

2nd Wave of Austen/Greene essays

For this 2nd wave of reading Austen/Greene essays, I read J for Joseph, K for Katerina, and L for Latitia. I personally thought K was the best written essay because starting from the introduction, it gave me a clear idea of what this writer is talking about. Even though the title of the essay is not outstanding, it gave me a basic theme or idea of what Katerina will discuss in this essay. The best part of this essay was it's succinct way of describing Jane Austen's and Graham Greene's character introductions without giving me 3 pages of sentences repeated many times. Starting from the intro, this essay clearly stated it's topic and expressed its idea so that the reader could automatically understand about both authors distinct introduction of characters. In the first paragraph; "Austen weaves together income, social rank, and gossip into the introductions of her characters."This sentence clearly stated what Austen's intentions are in introducing characters, without explaining through intense vocabulary, in which I might not understand what all the words mean. Also, the contrasting of Graham Greene and Jane Austen is explained very well, and from the thesis, the reader can clearly see what Katerina will discuss about the two author's contrasting character introductions. Also, I noticed that the essay is only one page, but the essay clearly gives great examples of each author's introductions in the body paragraphs. And I like how in each paragraph, Katerina discusses one author and their way of introducing characters. In this way, the reader can clearly separate the two, and see the difference between the Author's way of introducing characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment